Keep your dog healthy and happy with regular grooming. All you need is basic equipment and the knowledge that grooming is more than bath and brushing.
To do the job right, you need the right grooming equipment. It isn’t necessary that you burn a hole in your pocket for the same. Basic dog-grooming supplies can start off your journey with any dog breed.
- A toothbrush and a toothpaste exclusively meant for dogs.
- Brush – Curry brush for a short-haired dog, pin brush for a dog with a long single coat. A slicker brush, however is a good all-rounder brush.
- Comb – Get a fine-toothed comb if your dog has thin hair. A wide-toothed comb if your dog has thick hair. A flea comb for removing fleas as well as tangles. A medium-toothed comb on the other hand is a great all-rounder comb.
- Electric Clipper – in case your dog’s coat need to be clipped regularly.
- Shampoo and Conditioner made for Dogs – Stack up old towels too for drying.
- Dog toenail clippers and styptic powder – The powder helps stop bleeding in case of any injury when clipped too close to the quick.
- Otic solution, forceps and gauze – to clean your dog’s ears.
Maintain a special box to store the above basic supplies of your dog.
Dog Grooming Routine
Below is a basic dog grooming routine that should be followed for the health and hygiene of your dog. Dog’s teeth should be brushed once a week as per recommendations. Other tasks as brushing and bathing may be done less frequently.
- Brush out your dog thoroughly to remove any tangles or mats.
- A pre-bath clip if your dog’s coat need it.
- Express anal sacs if needed.
- Bathe with dog’s shampoo and rinse.
- Dry using towels or dog hair dryer.
- Clean ears. Dry thoroughly.
- Clean eye tear stains if any.
- Trim toenails
- Brush teeth.
- Brush out again. Apply any leave-in conditioner.
- Clip hair if necessary.