The study aimed to investigate the association between grape and raisin ingestion and acute kidney injury in dogs.
A total of 43 dogs with a history of grape or raisin ingestion were evaluated in this retrospective study.
The researchers found that 50% of the dogs developed clinical signs after ingesting grapes or raisins.
Among the dogs that developed clinical signs, 71% showed evidence of acute kidney injury.
Vomiting was the most common clinical sign, occurring in 68% of the dogs.
The median time from ingestion to the onset of clinical signs was 6 hours.
The amount of grapes or raisins ingested by the dogs varied widely, ranging from 2.8 g/kg to 26.8 g/kg for grapes and 0.02 g/kg to 2.2 g/kg for raisins. The median time from ingestion to the onset of clinical signs was 6 hours.
In some cases, dogs that ingested relatively small amounts of grapes or raisins developed acute kidney injury, while others that consumed larger amounts did not, highlighting the idiosyncratic nature of the toxicity.
The study did not identify the specific toxin responsible for the kidney injury or the exact mechanism of action.